The Gospel

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the GOSPEL which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

[Paul, writing to Christians @ Corinth, 1 Cor. 15:1-4]

Friday, May 15, 2009

Exordium

I could begin a poem

with a love that has shed its leaves,

and let stolen nights rise again

from the scarred sidewalk under my

grilled chocolate window.

From the same fantasy

I could

Picture rainwater as it melts down the alleyway.

I’d leave the night to occupy a lost road

winding

out of a wilderness of clouds,

that

a lighted Christmas candle

may

overcome

the veiled sky for other occupants of heaven.

It is midnight, and angels wander like butterflies

in a flower field.

I would be the gentle tune

that rises from smokestacks and fills the rain forests

to the last uninhabited nest.

Love lurks somewhere,

I say to the wild painting hung upside-down on

a friend’s numb soul,

and it responds with steep hillsides, murky waters,

and deep violet from a foreign flower.

Also, love steps in without any motion

to keep aware,

and violet

makes

me

dream

in

reverse.