The Gospel

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the GOSPEL which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

[Paul, writing to Christians @ Corinth, 1 Cor. 15:1-4]

Monday, February 26, 2018

SUFFERINGS OF JOB

Do we have any complaints in life?

Job was a man “blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil” (Job1:8), and yet he suffered.

And who are we, although confessed believers in the Lord Jesus, not to suffer for righteousness’ sake?
  
1)    Painful sores from head to feet
2)    Misery; bitterness of soul; sighing as daily food; groaning
3)    No peace, no quietness, no rest; only turmoil
4)    Dismay, discouragement
5)    Anguish, misery, loss of appetite
6)    Unrelenting pain
7)    Sleeplessness; body clothed with worms and scabs; broken and festering skin
8)    Anguish of spirit; bitterness of soul
9)    Frightening dreams; terrifying visions
10)  Terrified
11)  Loathing for life; bitterness of soul
12)  Shamed; drowning in affliction
13)  Frightened with terrors
14)  Tormented
15)  Wasting away; rotting
16)  Pain is not relieved; pain that won’t go away; worn out; shriveled and gaunt; loss of family, property, wealth; shattered; crushed; gauntness; jeered at; dark shadows around the eyes; struck in the cheek and scorned
17)  Broken; surrounded by mockers
18)  Spit upon by passersby; dimming eyesight
19)  Near death
20)  Crushed, humiliated; bad breath; reduced to skin and bones; no response from God; alienated from family; shunned by servants; scorned by little boys; detested by intimate friends; loathsome to own family; detested by those who used to love him
21)  Mocked; gnawing pain that never rests; terrors
22)  Churning inside him never stops; skin grows black and peels; high fever; mourning
23)  Incurable wound

++++++++++++

[(2:7)
So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head.]

[(3:20-24)
20 “Why is light given to those in misery,
    and life to the bitter of soul,
21 to those who long for death that does not come,
    who search for it more than for hidden treasure,
22 who are filled with gladness
    and rejoice when they reach the grave?
23 Why is life given to a man
    whose way is hidden,
    whom God has hedged in?
24 For sighing has become my daily food;
    my groans pour out like water.]

[(3:26)
26 I have no peace, no quietness;
    I have no rest, but only turmoil.”]

[(4:5)
But now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged;
    it strikes you, and you are dismayed.]

[(6:2-7)
“If only my anguish could be weighed
    and all my misery be placed on the scales!
It would surely outweigh the sand of the seas—
    no wonder my words have been impetuous.
The arrows of the Almighty are in me,
    my spirit drinks in their poison;
    God’s terrors are marshaled against me.
Does a wild donkey bray when it has grass,
    or an ox bellow when it has fodder?
Is tasteless food eaten without salt,
    or is there flavor in the sap of the mallow?
I refuse to touch it;
    such food makes me ill.]

[(6:10)
Then I would still have this consolation—
    my joy in unrelenting pain—
    that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.]

[(7:3-5)
so I have been allotted months of futility,
    and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
    The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn.
My body is clothed with worms and scabs,
    my skin is broken and festering.]

[(7:11)
“Therefore I will not keep silent;
    I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit,
    I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.]

[(7:13-16)
13 When I think my bed will comfort me
    and my couch will ease my complaint,
14 even then you frighten me with dreams
    and terrify me with visions,
15 so that I prefer strangling and death,
    rather than this body of mine.
16 I despise my life; I would not live forever.
    Let me alone; my days have no meaning.]

[(9:34)
someone to remove God’s rod from me,
    so that his terror would frighten me no more.]

[(10:1)
“I loathe my very life;
    therefore I will give free rein to my complaint
    and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.]

[(10:15-17)
15 If I am guilty—woe to me!
    Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head,
for I am full of shame
    and drowned in my affliction.
16 If I hold my head high, you stalk me like a lion
    and again display your awesome power against me.
17 You bring new witnesses against me
    and increase your anger toward me;
    your forces come against me wave upon wave.]

[(13:21)
Withdraw your hand far from me,
    and stop frightening me with your terrors.]

[(13:25)
Will you torment a windblown leaf?
    Will you chase after dry chaff?]

[(13:27,28)
27 You fasten my feet in shackles;
    you keep close watch on all my paths
    by putting marks on the soles of my feet.
28 “So man wastes away like something rotten,
    like a garment eaten by moths.]

[(16:6-16)
“Yet if I speak, my pain is not relieved;
    and if I refrain, it does not go away.
Surely, God, you have worn me out;
    you have devastated my entire household.
You have shriveled me up—and it has become a witness;
    my gauntness rises up and testifies against me.
God assails me and tears me in his anger
    and gnashes his teeth at me;
    my opponent fastens on me his piercing eyes.
10 People open their mouths to jeer at me;
    they strike my cheek in scorn
    and unite together against me.
11 God has turned me over to the ungodly
    and thrown me into the clutches of the wicked.
12 All was well with me, but he shattered me;
    he seized me by the neck and crushed me.
He has made me his target;
13     his archers surround me.
Without pity, he pierces my kidneys
    and spills my gall on the ground.
14 Again and again he bursts upon me;
    he rushes at me like a warrior.
15 “I have sewed sackcloth over my skin
    and buried my brow in the dust.
16 My face is red with weeping,
    dark shadows ring my eyes;]

[(17:1,2)
My spirit is broken,
    my days are cut short,
    the grave awaits me.
Surely mockers surround me;
    my eyes must dwell on their hostility.]

[(17:6,7)
“God has made me a byword to everyone,
    a man in whose face people spit.
My eyes have grown dim with grief;
    my whole frame is but a shadow.]

[(17:13-16)
13 If the only home I hope for is the grave,
    if I spread out my bed in the realm of darkness,
14 if I say to corruption, ‘You are my father,’
    and to the worm, ‘My mother’ or ‘My sister,’
15 where then is my hope—
    who can see any hope for me?
16 Will it go down to the gates of death?
    Will we descend together into the dust?”]

[(19:1-20)
Then Job replied:
“How long will you torment me
    and crush me with words?
Ten times now you have reproached me;
    shamelessly you attack me.
If it is true that I have gone astray,
    my error remains my concern alone.
If indeed you would exalt yourselves above me
    and use my humiliation against me,
then know that God has wronged me
    and drawn his net around me.
“Though I cry, ‘Violence!’ I get no response;
    though I call for help, there is no justice.
He has blocked my way so I cannot pass;
    he has shrouded my paths in darkness.
He has stripped me of my honor
    and removed the crown from my head.
10 He tears me down on every side till I am gone;
    he uproots my hope like a tree.
11 His anger burns against me;
    he counts me among his enemies.
12 His troops advance in force;
    they build a siege ramp against me
    and encamp around my tent.
13 “He has alienated my family from me;
    my acquaintances are completely estranged from me.
14 My relatives have gone away;
    my closest friends have forgotten me.
15 My guests and my female servants count me a foreigner;
    they look on me as on a stranger.
16 I summon my servant, but he does not answer,
    though I beg him with my own mouth.
17 My breath is offensive to my wife;
    I am loathsome to my own family.
18 Even the little boys scorn me;
    when I appear, they ridicule me.
19 All my intimate friends detest me;
    those I love have turned against me.
20 I am nothing but skin and bones;
    I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth.]

[(30:1-23)
“But now they mock me,
    men younger than I,
whose fathers I would have disdained
    to put with my sheep dogs.
Of what use was the strength of their hands to me,
    since their vigor had gone from them?
Haggard from want and hunger,
    they roamed the parched land
    in desolate wastelands at night.
In the brush they gathered salt herbs,
    and their food was the root of the broom bush.
They were banished from human society,
    shouted at as if they were thieves.
They were forced to live in the dry stream beds,
    among the rocks and in holes in the ground.
They brayed among the bushes
    and huddled in the undergrowth.
A base and nameless brood,
    they were driven out of the land.
“And now those young men mock me in song;
    I have become a byword among them.
10 They detest me and keep their distance;
    they do not hesitate to spit in my face.
11 Now that God has unstrung my bow and afflicted me,
    they throw off restraint in my presence.
12 On my right the tribe attacks;
    they lay snares for my feet,
    they build their siege ramps against me.
13 They break up my road;
    they succeed in destroying me.
    ‘No one can help him,’ they say.
14 They advance as through a gaping breach;
    amid the ruins they come rolling in.
15 Terrors overwhelm me;
    my dignity is driven away as by the wind,
    my safety vanishes like a cloud.
16 “And now my life ebbs away;
    days of suffering grip me.
17 Night pierces my bones;
    my gnawing pains never rest.
18 In his great power God becomes like clothing to me;
    he binds me like the neck of my garment.
19 He throws me into the mud,
    and I am reduced to dust and ashes.
20 “I cry out to you, God, but you do not answer;
    I stand up, but you merely look at me.
21 You turn on me ruthlessly;
    with the might of your hand you attack me.
22 You snatch me up and drive me before the wind;
    you toss me about in the storm.
23 I know you will bring me down to death,
    to the place appointed for all the living.]

[(30:27-31)
27 The churning inside me never stops;
    days of suffering confront me.
28 I go about blackened, but not by the sun;
    I stand up in the assembly and cry for help.
29 I have become a brother of jackals,
    a companion of owls.
30 My skin grows black and peels;
    my body burns with fever.
31 My lyre is tuned to mourning,
    and my pipe to the sound of wailing.]

[(34:6)
Although I am right,
    I am considered a liar;
although I am guiltless,
    his arrow inflicts an incurable wound.’]